Curious how to shop for your next car camping trip? Here’s a sample shopping list and three simple easy gourmet meals to take your camping trip to the glamping level. Added bonus: everything tastes better when cooked outside. Note: it’s recommended that you actually get outside and go for a hike, rather than sit around and drink all day. Please try to clean up and leave no trace.
Serves two healthy hungry female campers. For larger parties double or triple.
- 1 package Tortellini
- 1 container Pesto (6oz)
- 1 box arugula
- 1 extra large heirloom tomato
- 1 loaf freshly baked whole grain bread
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1 block Sharp white cheddar cheese (Cabbot preferred)
- 1/2 lb honey roasted turkey cold cuts
- 1 stick butter
- 6 pack of a tasty IPA ( Deschutes Fresh squeezed)
- 1bar chocolate for dessert or snacks
1. Dinner: Tortellini with Pesto and Arugula
- Tortellini (extra points if homemade)
- 1/4 of your heirloom tomato diced
Fill a pot with water. Place over flame and cover. Once water boils, add tortellini. Cook until tortellini are al dente 3-5 minutes. Using lid, drain water from pot. Stir in pesto and mix in arugula.
2. Breakfast: Cheesy Eggs on Avo Toast
- Eggs (2-3 per person)
- 1 tbs. butter (necessary as eggs tend to stick to pans)
- 1 /2 avocado per person
- 1-2 slices of bread per person
- 4-5 oz sharp cheddar cut into tiny cubes or grated
Melt butter in pan over heat. Add eggs and cook stirring gently until eggs are mostly cooked but still wet add cheese and turn off heat. Mix until cheese is melted. Mash avocado onto sliced bread. Top with eggs.
3. Turkey Pesto Sandwiches
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 3/4 avocado
- 2 tbs leftover pesto
- 4 slices turkey
- 2 slices leftover tomato
- Handful arugula
Prepare all your ingredients. Assemble your sandwich on a large flat surface if possible. Sandwiches can also be prepared ahead of time and packed for hikes.
Please note that all photos used in this post were taken by the very talented Brooke Parham. You can find more of her work by clicking here.